Sarah Jean Fry, An Actor's Journey

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Auditioning for the Actor's Studio

I'm blessed to have the uncanny life that finds me when I forget to follow my heart. My day job consumed most of 2009 and much of the first quarter of 2010. In spite of my lack of attention to my acting career, I had the wonderful good forture of doing a couple of webisodes in Q1 including an episode of "Life with Kat and McKay" and a couple of episodes in "Broken Mirrors." And then I was asked to audition with a friend at the Actor's Studio. And that's how it happened that I found myself auditioning for the Actor's Studio (LA) today. It was fun working with Mikhail and it was a beautiful spring LA day. It was thoroughly enjoyable and felt like another day in the life of Sarah Jean - busy, interesting and fun.

It reminded me of my ride with Allan Miller back in Dallas. He would come to Dallas quarterly and teach. The last year before I moved to LA, I proctored his classes and the last time I took his class, I drove him from the studio back to North Dallas where he was staying.

I remembered that he had a given me a task in a scene that required specific actions. He was tough and often looking for more, but in that particular scene, I found the zone. I knew it, he knew it and he knew I knew he knew it. It was the coolest thing. So, when we were driving to North Dallas, he asked me,"So, how do you feel about today's work?" And I said,"You know. It just feels good. It feels like a good day." He and I chatted about things other than acting that day, because there was nothing more to discuss about acting. The work was done and we decided to savor it and chat about life.

Driving back to Studio City today, I remembered my ride with Allan back in Dallas that day. It was one of the many days that led up to today's audition. And the many days and auditions and work are all part of the journey. Auditioning for the Actor's Studio was a land mark moment in my journey, and lucky me, today was another good day.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home