Sarah Jean Fry, An Actor's Journey

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Show up for your Auditions

So, after a full work day, I had a commercial audition and had to forgive myself for the technical lack in my performance. These days I always show up. I am fully me and fully available when I go to auditions. I'm mostly free of the head trips I used to take. I don't think about the other actors...except the usual things that people think like...oh she's pretty or he's animated...things like that. But I'm no longer competing with anyone any more. I believe that if a job is mine, then it's mine. If it's not, then I'm not going to get it no matter what I do. So, where does that leave my auditions? Well, it leaves me building a body of experience, continually developing my craft and hopefully creating relationships with the casting directors and crew.

I was happy and had fun and was free both before and in my audition. However, I failed on the technical. I was supposed to be talking to my teenage son (who was not there)...who would sit about my height...but I looked (when speaking to him) to his plate on the table in front of us instead of where his head and eyes would be. It's ok. I do have training. And they saw my resume before they called me in. And I've auditioned for this CD in the past. I thank them always and the staff who actually held the audition.

I can't even say that my audition was off...lol....it's more like it was free of technical qualities...which of course does not create a callback, but that's ok. Now, I know I should probably jump back in to Carolyne Barry's commercial class and brush up on my skills...get some of the cobwebs out. I've been working quite a bit this year...compared to the relatively quiet 3 years past. So, time to sharpen the craft and step back in to class or somewhere where I can get in regular acting workouts.

So, thought for the day....always show up for your auditions. The technical can help, but not if you are not fully present. If you're showing up and dropping the technical, then get back in to class or go find a play in which to perform.

If fact, life feels better all the way around when you just show up!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home