Sarah Jean Fry, An Actor's Journey

Monday, June 18, 2007

Art for Arts Sake and the Fads that Role Through

Art for arts sake seems nearly non-existent in the U.S. these days. As Elizabeth Gilbert says in her currently very popular book and my current reading effort, "Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia" Americans are driven to do things that accomplish something, and as a result, rarely do a thing for the love of it. Before I picked up her book, I've noticed a swelling in popularity of Italian, learning it and also going to Italy. It seems every 4th person or so in my life is going to or has recently returned from Italy. I suspect it has a lot to do with Italy hosting the Olympics. I don't know that for sure. What I do know is that people of very different social circles of my life are headed to Italy.

I also learned from Elizabeth Gilbert's book that the Italian language was formed as a pretty language in which the best and prettiest words were incorporated in to the language making it almost a singing language even when spoken. My great aunt, whom I respected, always favored Spanish. Though I admired my great aunt, I always thought Italian was the prettiest sounding of the romance languages.

Here's the thing. I often wonder if having a second language really helps you in acting. Let's say you decide it will help. Then do you select the ones you studied in High School, the one that's most colloquial to where you live now, or the one you'd love to learn just because you want to learn it? Personally, I can get by in French and if you drop me in Paris without English speaking people, I could get around albeit haltingly until I got my conversation back (back meaning I spent 3 weeks there in high school and left able to reasonably hold basic conversation in French). I am picking up more Southern California Spanish every day just by living in Southern California. And all this hype around Italy, which may be more about my life than an actual fad in the United States, has reminded me how very much I love listening to people speaking Italian.

So, I can remain practical and brush up my French so I can put it on my acting resume, learn all that words on my Spanish tapes which I bought last spring, or I could begin learning Italian because it's beautiful and enchanting and just plain fun. I don't have the answer about that today, but I do have another book recommendation for you.

I recommend that you read, "Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India and Indonesia" by Elizabeth Gilbert. I'd heard of it and thought the title a bit broad and therefore passed, but as I was passing the shelf where the book was in Borders, there were two women gushing about how good it was. Then as I had cleared the book case, another woman walked up and grabbed 5 copies and to the two women said,"I'm getting these as gifts." I was amused. It caught my attention, but I moved on. I also moved on to a Barnes & Noble for something Borders didn't have and there the book was gain. Another two people were perusing it and saying they'd heard it was good. I thought to myself, "Ok. Fine. I'm curious what all the hubbub is about." I skipped the book I was going to get and grabbed a copy of "Eat, Pray, Love." When I got the check out counter, the Aussie behind the counter said,"I hear it's quite good. I really ought to read it some time." I chuckled and paid for my new book.

It's a slower read for me than some books, but interesting nonetheless. I'm about 1/2 way through and can already recommend it to others, especially actors because this woman took a trip to follow heart and find herself. To some extent I think we live by following our hearts as actors, but sometimes we have to take extra steps. Perhaps, her book might awaken something in you as it did for me. The author is an award winning writer who writes straight from the heart and probably endears many. I'm not so much as endeared as interested, but she writes a good story and shares herself and her experiences generously. I think if you pick up a copy and read it, you'll be glad you did. You might even be inspired.

Happy reading!
Sarah Jean

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home