Sarah Jean Fry, An Actor's Journey

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Caffeine - done in 2007

On November 07, 2005, I wrote a blog "Caffeine - to quit 0r not to quit." I quit on November 4th as stated in the blog and then by December 5, I'd begun drinking it again. The pressures of work, pursuing an acting career and holiday events contributed to my returning to my Grand Mocha Latte habit.

Interesting enough, Star Bucks is not all bad. I began going by the one on the way to work and ran in to one of the casting agents who cast me in a commercial last year. He gave me positive feedback as well just fun time talking. Also, I'd begun developing a relationship of sorts with an agent whom I admire. And I recently met a guy who works on CSI: Miami. It's fun chatting with all of them as well all waited for our various drinks. So though I'm giving it up, caffeine has had some great benefits for me....much of them social and work-related. And how many of us run in to friends and they say,” Let’s get together for coffee." Tons in the entertainment industry...and some outside of it, too.

So I struggled through all of 2006 with this caffeine issue. I've wanted to give it up because I'm highly sensitive to it, and I feel I actually have more energy when I'm not using it. I also know there are lots of other negative side effects over the years. So, I'm stopping now.

I realized that the social aspect of caffeine, particularly going by Starbucks in the mornings, was the single biggest factor keeping myself hooked. Once I realized it and could let it go, I decided to quit the day I returned to my day job in 2007. Lucky me, I didn't have to go back until Monday January 8th. I decided I wouldn't even try to quit over the holiday. I kept telling myself I'd cut back to a tall, but every time I went in I ordered a grande. I couldn't do it.

Over the holiday, I did lots of fun things including going to see Hans Christian King, a clairvoyant, speak at the Bohdi Tree. He said, if you want to stop doing something quit putting energy toward it. That was three days before I went back to work.

So, that's what I did. I just stopped putting energy toward it. I drove right past the Star Bucks and distracted myself so I wouldn't think about it. At work, my buddies were asking me about quitting again. I just said,"I quit. So, I'm not talking about it any more." This was really cool. They all supported me, and now we talk about other things. So, magically, I've been able to replace my coffee time with other things.

Coffee took up a minimum of 20 minutes per day for me and who knows the countless hours over the years that I spent sipping at lunches, dinners, and meetings. If you're looking for free time, consider getting some of it by giving up bad habits. I'm surprised how much time has been freed for me.

I also new coffee was a pacifier for having to go to a day job that I've outgrown but affords me the flexibility to go to auditions whenever I need. So, I'm also now faced with things that I will want to change in 2007. I'll keep you posted on my blog as I make changes.

There are tons of other things that are helping me make changes, too. Tons of the new age books I've read since I was 16 say that you have to change your mind and your life will change. It's true. And you have to spend some time thinking about it as well. It's not simple. If it were, I wouldn't still be talking about quitting caffeine over a year later. But this time, I'm really done. You can be, too, if you want to or if you give yourself the tools you need to support you while you make the change.

If there's something you want to give up or change, I recommend you change your mind. Some helpful tools I recommend are: "The Secret" which summarizes years of reading that I've done, so maybe you can watch it and get the shortcut to changing your life and make wonderful changes; any books by Wayne Dyer whose book "Your Erroneous Zones" started my new age journey when I was a teenager; Deepak Chopra or any new age author that resonates for you. Especially for artists and entrepreneurs, I recommend "The Artist's Way" by Julia Cameron, who caused me to leave a corporate marketing career and become an actor.

And of course, I recommend hearing Hans King speak as well. I think he's the one who struck the final chord to help me kick the caffeine habit. I'm just not paying attention to it any more.

Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home