Sarah Jean Fry, An Actor's Journey

Tuesday, January 02, 2007

For Your Consideration

“For your consideration” is an expression that begins appearing in the industry trades in mid-October and refers to the awards shows for movies, actors, etc. Today, however, this piece is for you and your life.

Did you complete everything you wanted to do? Did you take every opportunity that came your way? Was last year perfect? Are you fulfilled in all areas of your life? Are you completely fulfilled in your acting career (or career if you're a non-actor)? If you said yes to all of these questions, then you are truly magnificent and need not read further. If you’re human like me and most of us, then you can answer no to at least some of these questions and more questions like them.

The beginning of a new year usually has us pondering the year past and the goals for the year just beginning. The questions above cover not only your career but also opportunities in your life. Personally, I’d rather not dwell much on 2006, partly because it is my nature to live in the present and occasionally in the future and partly because, this past year, I think I learned my lessons as I went. Therefore, I leave them open-ended for you to consider for your life.

2006 was not rose-colored for me, but rather, it was strewn with growthful challenges and a few sad events. Oddly enough amidst my challenges were successes. I would prefer to focus on the successes for the remainder of this blog having shared some of my lessons previously.

In 2006, I had a long running Wells Fargo commercial that is still running for which I am truly grateful. It only took 12 years of working as an actor to book it. I’ve had other commercials for which I am grateful, but this one ran longer and felt more professional for some reason. Perhaps, I’m more professional and more skilled. As I consider the last sentence, I understand I am more professional and more skilled. Are you? This is something for you to consider.

I had some exciting auditions for a number of quality episodics and several movies. I booked none of them, but had some callbacks and felt great that the casting directors were willing to bring me in the auditions. Their trust in me is on the rise. Trust is important, because their jobs on are the line every time they bring you in. So, you owe it to yourself and the casting director to be professional. Your job as an actor is primarily to act, and yet, it is equally as important for you to present yourself professionally and reflect well upon people who take a chance on you. Being a businesswoman first and an actor second, I’ve almost always behaved professionally. The area where I needed to work most was in gaining confidence in my acting, and perhaps, in myself. The aspect of behaving professionally comes more easily from years of experience in the corporate world and from owning my own businesses. I feel particularly fortunate that I just like people and prefer to treat people kindly and with respect. The work I’ve done in my acting and on myself is beginning to pay off and open opportunities for me. Do you behave professionally and treat people kindly? Is your work beginning to pay off? Should you consider it?

So, did you work in 2006? Did you work as much as you would have liked? What is it that you need in order to get more work? Are you a terrific actor, but lack professionalism? Are you a professionally well-behaved person who needs to hone your acting skills? What is it? Were you unlucky? If so, how can you create good luck for yourself in 2007? Even Judi Dench says she works very hard and goes from one project to the next without a break, because she’s “afraid the next call won’t come.” The next call will come for Judi. And it will come for you, too, if you do what you need to do. What do you need to do now? What do you need to do for yourself and your career in 2007? These questions are for your consideration.

Wishing you clarity, prosperity, happiness and excellent health in 2007!
Happy New Year!
Sincerely, Sarah Jean

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home